The Health Insurance Marketplace is a new way to shop for health coverage. A single, online source will help you get information about your health coverage options with easy, side-by-side comparisons of private insurance plans’ benefits, including quality, and price. You can also find out if you’re eligible for assistance with the costs of health coverage.
You can buy insurance through a Marketplace if you live in the United States, are a U.S. citizen or a U.S. national (or are lawfully present), and aren’t currently incarcerated.
These health plans offered in the Health Insurance Marketplace will generally offer comprehensive coverage, including a set of "essential health benefits” with at least these items and services:
- Ambulatory patient services
- Emergency services
- Maternity and newborn care
- Mental health and substance use disorder services, including behavioral health treatment (which includes counseling and psychotherapy)
- Prescription drugs
- Rehabilitative and habilitative services and devices
- Laboratory services
- Preventive and wellness services and chronic disease management
- Pediatric services, including oral and vision care
Nobody can be turned away or charged more because of their gender or a pre-existing condition.
Marketplace plans are sorted by plan category (bronze, silver, gold, or platinum). The differences among the categories will be based on the average percentage of the costs the plan will cover. This system makes it easy to compare similar plans based on price and coverage.
To learn more, view the video above, visit HealthCare.gov or call 1-800-318-2596.